Wednesday 29 July 2009

just a perfect day

Sometimes I can't believe I actually live here. Yesterday, George had to go for another one of his business meetings, 4 hours drive from Athens. The notion of conference calls don't really exist here and business is still very much conducted on a face to face basis. Which is no bad thing sometimes. Again, despite a very early start, I joined him for the ride. Most of the landscape we drove through looked like this...


sadly a lot of it is still burnt from the terrible forest fires, trees standing like ghosts...


but sometimes it even reminded me of the hedgerows of England...


We ended up in a place called Pylos in the south-west Peloponnese, and while George went for his meeting I had my coffee and then climbed up to the castle at the top of the town...


wandering through the shady grounds, I discovered secret little entrances and gateways...


which you would walk through and suddenly come upon a view like this...


and then turn around to see this...


I found a bench under a shady tree, sat down and breathed a deep satisfied sigh. This was my view for the next 2 hours...


I sat and read my book and looked far out to sea, the only sound the wind in the trees, the occasional sound of children's laughter, and a choir of a million cicadas. They're ugly little beasts... a bit like giant flies, about 2" long...


but they sound like this...

I realised after a while I couldn't hear another soul around, perfectly blissful. Eventually I wandered down to the gate to leave and found it locked. The castle had already been shut for an hour! Luckily somebody let me out, but I was almost sad about it. I'd found a little peace of heaven.

And then, if that wasn't enough, we went for a swim here!

3 comments:

  1. I've just seen your photo on flickr, and had to stop by to see where you're blogging from. What a gorgeous place you live in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect getaway for those who apriciate silence. If I were there I would probably knit or crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you lucky duck! What a lovely place to be locked into... and the beach!!!! wow

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog... its always nice to hear from you so please feel free to leave me a comment.

Leanda :)